Experienced Aerospace Technician (Layup, Assembly, Finishing) - SEKISUI Aerospace
SEKISUI AerospaceOrange City, IA, US
An exciting aerospace career awaits you in our manufacturing facility in Orange City, Iowa. Apply to join the SEKISUI Aerospace team today!
Assembles airplane components by laying composites and materials such as pre-impregnated fiberglass cloth onto molds by performing the following duties. Works according to takt time on a moving line or bench, performing finish assembly processes to mass-produce commercial aircraft composite products. Position involves sanding, cleaning, and preparing parts for the appropriate next step in the production process, along with some machine operation in machining.
- High attention to detail: Multiple pieces make up the layup of parts. Each must be placed accurately and oriented correctly. Must be able to quickly spot and address flaws in raw material.
- Hand dexterity/coordination: Job requires a lot of specific finger movements and hand layup techniques.
- Physical demands include lifting and moving material weighing 10-40lbs.
- Organization: Must be able to keep track of various parts and job orders and manage time spent on different tasks.
- Cleanliness: Parts can be sensitive to foreign materials, must be able to keep a clean workspace.
- Safety-Minded: Team needs people who are putting safety first, and realize how important it is to take care around certain machinery/equipment.
- Writing Comprehension: Important to be able to read and comprehend the work instructions and job orders that will be handled.
- Computer Literacy: Team member will have to use several computer interfaces to record and manage production as they layup production parts.
Day Shift: Monday – Friday, 7:00 AM – 3:30 PM, additional overtime hours as needed
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Rx, Life and AD&D Insurance
- Company Sponsored 401k
- PTO (Paid Time Off)
- Tuition Reimbursement
SEKISUI Aerospace is a division of SEKISUI Chemical Group with offices in the United States. Our headquarters are located in Renton, WA with facilities Sumner, WA and Orange City, IA. We design, engineer and manufacture composite structures used in commercial and military aircraft.
SEKISUI Aerospace is committed to maintaining a work community that recognizes and appreciates the value of every person; fosters tolerance, understanding and mutual dignity and respect among all team members. Our Values are the filter by which we do business. Visit https://www.sekisuiaerospace.com to learn more about our values, our history and our brand.
Orange City, IA is located in the northwest corner of Iowa in Sioux County. It is home to two growing school systems, a four-year liberal arts college, the annual Tulip Festival, as well as many large industry and development opportunities. To learn more about the Orange City community please visit https://vibrant.orangecityiowa.com.
SEKISUI Aerospace is a Drug Free workplace. Pre-employment drug screen required.
Any applicant selected for this position will be required to submit to a background screening.
Any applicant selected for this position will be required to submit to a background screening and credit check. [Include for senior leadership and finance roles only].
Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer
SEKISUI Aerospace provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment, and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
People with Disabilities
SEKISUI Aerospace is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request reasonable accommodation, contact the human resources department at the appropriate SEKISUI Aerospace manufacturing site.
Orange City Operations: 712.707.9200
SEKISUI Aerospace is a federal contractor and is required to participate in the federal government’s E-Verify program. E-Verify allow us to confirm the employment authorization of newly hired employees through an electronic database maintained by the Social Security Administration and Department of Homeland Security. With respect to new hires, the E-Verify process is completed in conjunction with a new hire’s completion of the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification within three days of starting employment. For information regarding E-Verify, visit the E-Verify site.
Essential Functions: Essential functions, including how an individual is to perform them and the frequency with which the tasks are performed; the tasks must be part of the job function and truly necessary or required to perform the job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Responsible for the hand layup of advanced composite materials on designated tooling per specific work instructions and customer specifications.
- Performs advance composite operations to include molding, trimming, vacuum-bagging, basic repair, material preparation, weighing, molding, finishing, and secondary machine operations.
- Inspection of in-process and finished product using hand measurement tools and other tests procedures may be required.
- Record keeping of inspection results where required.
- Must be able to demonstrate an understanding of how work orders and lay-up charts ensure the quality of the product while providing suggestions for improvement
- Must be able to work with shop tools and equipment used in composite layup as well as demonstrate the ability to perform in a team environment and exhibit a willingness to “do what it takes” to ensure customer expectations are met or exceeded.
- Assemble parts according to job travelers and provided sketch sheets.
- Performs bonding processes using adhesives, small hand tools, and assembly jigs.
- Requires light sanding and abrading of composite, plastic, and some metal components.
- Hand wraps insulation blankets, using utility knives, foam insulation, and insulation tape.
- May perform some light riveting using rivet squeezes and pop rivet guns.
- Sand, clean, and prep parts for machining, painting, or assembly.
- Mask non-painted surfaces
- Use various methods to fill voids and porosity
- Operate automated downdraft booth, grit blaster, and handheld power tools.
- Operate water jet cutters.
- Follow basic quality assurance checks.
- Perform any other duties requested by management, including cross training in other areas of facility
- Manage In-Process quality assurance within department
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Basic computer & software skills preferred
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to precarious places and toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate requiring hearing protection in certain areas.
Required PPE (Personal Protective Equipment)
PPE is provided by SEKISUI Aerospace based on the employee’s position and exposure.