Engineering Manager - Den Hartog Industries, Inc.
Den Hartog Industries, Inc.Hospers, IA, USA
Position supports engineering in the planning, coordination, documentation and implementation of company design and development efforts. Responsibilities include new product development, existing product maintenance, existing product improvement and product manufacturing and facilities layout and design. This position initiates and facilitates technical communication between departments. Position provides engineering services support between company divisions
Occasional job duties:
- Assists in the evaluation of new engineering and analysis software and hardware to determine usefulness and compatibility with existing software and hardware.
- Other duties and projects as assigned by management
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Supervises and directs the implementation of new molds and fixture construction, existing mold and fixture upgrades and the interface of product molds and fixtures onto the production floor.
KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITIES: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Strong written and verbal communication skills required. Must be able to organize technical thoughts and operating procedures for communication to others including manufacturing employee to executive management. Communication with internal staff and external suppliers required.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: High level of mathematical skills required. Applicable knowledge of arithmetic calculations and engineering analysis skills required.
REASONING ABILITY: Strong ability to assess project requirements and communication requirements to successfully implement projects. Ability to translate product performance requests into technical product solutions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Technical or college degree in a mechanical or related engineering field required.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: None required. Demonstrated proficiencies in Microsoft products, AutoCAD, Solid Works or similar engineering software systems are required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: includes the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Planning Responsibilities include the participation in new product planning and development meetings as requested or required. Related duties include the preparation and presentation of documents, drawings and the data to support these planning functions. Additional planning support and direction will be provided by the Engineering Manager.
- Documentation Responsibilities include the preparation, logging, tracking and distribution of product documentation including drawings and related documents. Related duties include dimensional and specification verification and B.O.M. and routing releases.
- Design Responsibilities include product research and design concepts including prototype development toward achieving competitive, compliant and innovative new products as required. Also responsible for mold design and design assistance for molds made in house as well as those outsourced to other mold builders. Position utilizes computer aided engineering and design software such as AutoCAD, Solid Works and MasterCam. Position works directly with customers and product managers as necessary to achieve successful product development.
- Quoting / Pricing Responsibilities include developing, implementing and assisting with management of process pricing for proprietary and custom production projects to assure profit levels are planned and achieved. This includes working with inside / outside sales and engineering contacts to develop accurate and timely pricing strategies. Position requires that custom sales quotations be referenced with a Request for Quotation Form (RFQ) completed by DHI Engineering or applicable sales agency representation.
- Tooling Responsibilities include guidance for Mold Building activities in the Mold shop and also Injection Tool Room to build, procure and maintain effective production tooling. Responsibilities may also include management of outsourced tooling suppliers including the review for production suitability.
- Testing and Compliance Responsibilities include compliance assurance testing to insure that new product and current products meet or exceed all applicable customer and industry standards. Related duties include participation in industry compliance standards development as requested.
- Manufacturing Responsibilities include the interface of all new product development with existing plant floor manufacturing techniques as well as assisting in the development and implementation of new and innovative manufacturing technologies into current and future product manufacturing capabilities. Also responsible for working with production to ensure all parts are running at or above quoted rates. Related duties include the assistance in implementation of new mold and fixture construction as well as existing tooling upgrades.
- Customer Service Support Responsibilities include direct or indirect support of customer information requests, including product specifications, capacities, capabilities and performance suitability. Related duties include new product interviews and the development of new product requests and quotations.
- Safety Support Responsibilities include assisting with the improvement of company-wide safety issues including the correction of unsafe machinery, equipment, and working conditions through recommendations, modifications and/or additions to equipment.